The PA Foundation invites practicing PAs to apply for an exclusive opportunity to build upon their knowledge of nutrition as it relates to patient care utilizing AAPA resources and special training, and to employ that knowledge in practice and in community outreach efforts.
Everyone can benefit from greater knowledge of nutrition and how it impacts health. The idea behind the Nutrition Outreach Fellowship is to provide a way for PAs, especially those with an interest in community leadership, to receive special training and resources on nutrition to both enhance their clinical practice and to give back to their healthcare peers and the community at large.
Cycle open date: March 14
Application deadline: May 5
All applications must be submitted by PAs who are members in good standing of AAPA.
The virtual training sessions will be held on July 20-21 and 26-27 at 7-9 p.m. ET. Fellows are required to attend all four sessions.
NOTE: Nutrition Outreach Fellows will serve as presenters of the nutrition outreach curriculum. Fellows should be comfortable presenting to a group of adults and facilitating groups.
How it works:
- PAs will apply through the PA Foundation application portal.
- Fellows will be selected through a competitive, unbiased process based upon criteria determined by the PA Foundation Program Committee and a team of PAs with nutrition-related credentials.
- The Fellows cohort will consist of up to 35 PAs.
- Fellows will be tasked with providing training to a minimum of 100 consumers and 100 healthcare peers/students in their network or community over the course of the fellowship year.
Goals of the program:
- Provide training to strengthen PA participants’ knowledge of nutrition and the role it plays in health with emphasis on:
- Prevention and management of type 2 diabetes
- Healthy aging
- Wound healing
Programming will include:
- Participation in AAPA Learning Central modules
- Resources for practice and outreach
- Presentations (for community outreach)
- Downloadable patient materials
- Media training on topic
- Private AAPA Huddle group for Nutrition Outreach Fellows (online forum)
- Six-month check-in call
The cohort of PA Foundation Nutrition Outreach Fellows will participate in the following:
- Virtual training of 4 two-hour sessions (scheduled for July 20-21 and 26-27, 7-9 p.m. ET)
- Nutrition topics
- Media training
Fellows will receive a $1,500 honorarium/stipend for their participation in the program, payable over two installments.
Fellows will be required to participate in the following and meet the following requirements:
- Participate in the 4 virtual training sessions (July 20-21 and 26-27, 7-9 p.m. ET)
- Present to a minimum of 100 consumers and 100 healthcare peers/students over the course of the fellowship year
- Complete one of the following: 1 publication/article OR 1 “unique” engagement (i.e., state chapter presentation, case study) OR engage with Abbott representative
- Participate in six-month check-in call
- Submit monthly metrics reports
The PA Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. This program is funded through a corporate grant from Abbott. All Fellows are expected to meet the fellowship requirements listed above. Fellows are entitled to a participation stipend issued in two parts. If the program requirements are not met, the Foundation Board of Trustees may choose to issue partial stipend payment, or no payment, based on the percentage of required elements met.
View the program overview and requirements document before applying.
Application deadline: May 5, 2022