The Breitman-Dorn Endowed Research Fellowship was established in 1998 through a generous donation from Jerald A. Breitman in memory of his partner Stephen Dorn. The endowment encourages a commitment to research on the PA profession and provides financial assistance to doctoral candidates who are making a contribution to research on the influence of PAs on medical care.
The Breitman-Dorn Endowed Research Fellowship is a cash award, not a grant. It is not a requirement that the recipient use the money to offset doctoral expenses. The award amount will be $4,000 for the 2023 cycle.
- The applicant’s research must address the role or contributions of PAs in healthcare; i.e., the research must focus on PA issues and benefit PAs and/or the PA profession. It is not a requirement that the research must focus exclusively on PAs or the PA profession.
- It is not a requirement that the applicant must be a PA. Doctoral candidates from any discipline are welcome to submit an application.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate program and working toward a doctoral degree.
- Applicants must have an approved doctoral dissertation proposal topic.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
You will be asked to upload the following materials as part of the online application:
- A signed copy of the Graduate Program Reference Form (verifies applicant is enrolled in the stated graduate program, is in good academic standing, has advanced to doctoral candidacy, and has an approved dissertation proposal – to be signed by principal dissertation advisor)
- A one-page letter from the chair of the dissertation committee stating that the candidate is approved to go forward with research for the dissertation. The letter should include a description of the current status of the research project.
- Applicant’s current headshot
- Current unofficial graduate academic transcript
- Abstract(s) of recent and relevant publication(s) authored or co-authored by the applicant (three maximum)
- Current résumé/curriculum vitae
You will be asked to provide essay responses to the following prompts:
- Provide a description of the proposed research that includes the following (not to exceed 1,000 words):
- Purpose and significance
- Literature review
- Research design
- Plan for evaluation of results
If you are a re-applicant for this fellowship, describe what is different in this proposal and/or how you have progressed in your research since your previous application.
- Explain your personal commitment to research on or about the PA profession and outline your career plans for the next five years (not to exceed 500 words).
The 2023 Breitman-Dorn Research Fellowship cycle will open July 10 and close August 11.
Award amount: $4,000