Vital Minds is a podcast of the PA Foundation, a national nonprofit organization that promotes better health and wellness by providing PAs and PA students with philanthropic opportunities and resources. Each Vital Minds episode features a conversation between host James Millward, an early career PA, and a guest expert on a topic of relevance to the PA and healthcare provider audience, ranging from mental health to obesity to pain management and many more.
Episode 9 – October 2018
Topic: Diet Dialogue: Approaching Patient Conversations Using National Nutrition Data
Guests: Chris Taylor, PhD, and Ashlyn Smith, PA-C
Support for this episode of Vital Minds is provided by Abbott Nutrition.
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999–2016 Survey Content Brochure
- Long Term Effects of a Lifestyle Intervention on Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes: Four Year Results of the Look AHEAD Trial
- The Look AHEAD Trial: Implications for Lifestyle Intervention in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
- USDA Food and Nutrition Services
- AACE 2018 DM2 Guidelines (pp. 3-4, 24)
- ADA Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes 2018 (pp. 47-51)
- Why Muscle Mass Matters
- Costs of Malnutrition in Institutionalized and Community-Dwelling Older Adults: A Systematic Review
- USDA: What We Eat in America