Episode 29 – May 2023
Topic: Health Equity in Aging
Host: James Millward, DMSc, PA-C
Guests: Leanne Clark-Shirley, PhD, and Nathan Hart, PA-C
- World Health Organization – Ageing and Health
- American Society on Aging
- Alzheimer’s Association – Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures
- CDC – Alzheimer’s Disease and Healthy Aging – Dementia Risk Reduction
- CDC – Modifiable Risk Factors for Alzheimer Disease and Related Dementias Among Adults Aged ≥45 Years — United States, 2019
- World Health Organization – Discrimination and negative attitudes about ageing are bad for your health
- National Library of Medicine – “Ageism Amplifies Cost and Prevalence of Health Conditions.” Levy BR, Slade MD, Chang ES, Kannoth S, Wang SY. Ageism Amplifies Cost and Prevalence of Health Conditions. Gerontologist. 2020 Jan 24;60(1):174-181. doi: 10.1093/geront/gny131. PMID: 30423119; PMCID: PMC7182003.
- Alzheimer Society of Canada – Stigma Against Dementia
- Louise Aronson – “Elderhood”
- Administration for Community Living – Area Agencies on Aging
- CDC – Alzheimer’s Disease and Healthy Aging – Social Determinants of Health and Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias
Vital Minds is a podcast of the PA Foundation, a national nonprofit organization that promotes better health and wellness by providing PAs and PA students with philanthropic opportunities and resources. Each Vital Minds episode features a conversation between host James Millward, an early career PA, and a guest expert on a topic of relevance to the PA and healthcare provider audience, ranging from mental health to obesity to pain management and many more.