Episode 26 – August 2022
Topic: The Role of Peer Support Specialists in Preventing Prescription Opioid Misuse
Host: James Millward, DMSc, PA-C
Guests: Richard Bottner, DHA, PA-C, CPHQ, and Jessi Davis, MHPS, RSPS
Support for this episode of Vital Minds is provided by the AmerisourceBergen Foundation’s Opioid Resource Grant program and is oneelement of a larger set of resources you can find on the PA Foundation website. Visit https://pa-foundation.org/preventing-prescription-opioid-misuse/special-patient-populations/ to view the full suite of resources.
- View the Foundation’s full suite of resources: “Preventing Prescription Opioid Misuse in Special Patient Populations”
- National Association of Peer Supporters (N.A.P.S.)
- N.A.P.S. – National Practice Guidelines for Peer Specialists and Supervisors
- National Association of Peer Supporters webinar series
- Johns Hopkins Medicine – Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality – Peer Supporters
- United States Government Accountability Office – Substance Use Disorder – Medicaid Coverage of Peer Support Services for Adults
- SAMHSA – Behavioral Health Workforce Report
- Doors to Wellbeing – Peer Specialists
- Peers in Texas: Workforce Outcomes
- SAMHSA Advisory: Peer Support Services in Crisis Care
Vital Minds is a podcast of the PA Foundation, a national nonprofit organization that promotes better health and wellness by providing PAs and PA students with philanthropic opportunities and resources. Each Vital Minds episode features a conversation between host James Millward, an early career PA, and a guest expert on a topic of relevance to the PA and healthcare provider audience, ranging from mental health to obesity to pain management and many more.